(1) Watch the weather. If a storm comes up while you are on the river, please head for shore immediately, especially if there are any signs of lightening. Being on the river when there is lightening present is dangerous under any circumstances. Note: A good rule of thumb is: that if you can see lightening that it can reach you where you are at, (even if it looks like it is far off in the distance) Please keep in mind that it isn't safe to be on the river (at all) when river levels are high. In the event that a storm comes up please be prepared to act in order to keep you, and your family and friends safe. Seek shelter if possible, and wait out the storm.
(2) Paddle at your own risk! Know that you and the other adults with you are responsible for your groups safety. Always know where your children are and what they are doing, and stay watchful of your entire group at all times. Be safe and stay sober. Note: In most river accidents that occur there is usually alcohol involved.
(3) All children 10 and under, and all other persons who are not strong swimmers, must wear a life vest at all times. We provide life vests for any persons wishing to have one, and strongly suggest that everyone should wear one at all times.
(4) No diving into the river! River depths vary, therefore diving is extremely dangerous.
(5) For environmental reasons, no glass beverage containers, Styrofoam coolers, water balloons allowed on the river.
(6) Tying water craft together can be a hazard, therefore J & J's wishes to discourage those wanting to do so.
(7) Please help us to keep the Muskegon River clean! Bring back with you any items that you took with you on the river! A waste can will be waiting at your trips end.(Also a bin for cans)
(8) Respect private property owners rights. Do not trespass on private property! There are a lot of cottages and homes on the Muskegon River, so please be respectful when you are passing by. If you need to use a restroom, there are facilities at Riverside Park, Hersey Canoe Landing, and also J&J's.
(9) Do not abandon J&J's equipment unless you have a medical emergency or you will be held responsible for recovery and/or replacement fees. If you have a medical emergency we will try and work with you on replacement fees if our equipment cannot be recovered, but please keep in mind that since we are so new, that we really just cannot afford to loose anything at all.
(10) Broken or missing equipment. At every trips end, we will check all equipment for damages, and to make certain that it was all returned. You will be held responsible for any lost or damaged equipment (and will be charged accordingly) If the lost equipment is somehow recovered at a later date, you will then be refunded the balance of the replacement fee, minus the recovery fee (if recovery was necessary) For equipment that was determined that it was damaged due to normal wear, there will be no charges.
(11) No pets allowed on the inflatables (their claws will puncture) Do not smoke while on the tubes or in the rafts. Please stop and take a break if you need to smoke. (If the inflatables are damaged by either punctures or burns they will leak air), and you will be held responsible for damages.
(12) Be careful of horseplay. Do not get carried away causing harm, to either yourself or to another person. Think about what you are doing when you are goofing around and having fun. Stay sober, and make good decisions, and if you see someone within your group who is considering doing something that looks dangerous to you, please STOP them!
(1) No alcoholic or other beverages allowed in our transport vehicles. (2) Do not throw any objects from vehicle windows. (3) Water guns prohibited in our transport vehicles (unless they are empty of water before boarding.) (4) No cursing, shouting, or other obnoxious behavior. (5) No smoking allowed in transport vehicles.